Cooperative Extension San Joaquin County
University of California
Cooperative Extension San Joaquin County

Posts Tagged: Master Gardener

With what and how do I fertilize my home vegetable garden?

Vegetables grown in most California soils often require some fertilizer for best growth. Nitrogen is the most important nutrient and can be applied using either organic forms such as manures or compost or inorganic forms (chemical fertilizers) to supply needed nutrients.

Learn more.....

Posted on Thursday, June 11, 2009 at 2:01 PM

When should I plant my garden?

California has a unique vegetable growing climate and we can grow many different types of vegetable crops throughout the year. Crops are classified as warm season or cool season crops. It is important that you plant at the right time of year for each crop for optimum yield. . . . . .     Learn more


vegetable gardening in a raised bed
vegetable gardening in a raised bed

Posted on Monday, June 1, 2009 at 8:54 AM
Tags: california (8), gardening (17), master gardener (9), vegetable (1)

How do I provide structural support for my grape vines?

Strong structural support is needed to support the vines and crop; this can be a trellis, an arbor, or a fence. Many gardeners grow grapes on an arbor to provide both shade and fruit.

A trellis provides the easiest method . . . Learn more

grape vine arbor
grape vine arbor

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 at 10:53 AM

How do I start seeds indoors?

Starting your vegetables indoors early can give your garden a jumpstart on spring. It also reduces the cost of seedling transplants in that a packet of seeds cost about the same as 1, 4-inch tomato plant. It also allows you to grow seedlings of varieties that may be difficult to find in the nursery as transplants.

To start you will need . . . . .     Learn more

a coldframe for starting seeds
a coldframe for starting seeds

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 at 12:01 PM

First storyPrevious 5 stories

Webmaster Email: